ABOUT YOUTH EXCHANGE
Students learn a new language, discover another culture, and truly become global citizens. Exchanges for students ages 15-19 are sponsored by Rotary clubs in more than 100 countries.
What are the benefits?
Exchange students unlock their true potential to:
- Develop lifelong leadership skills
- Learn a new language and culture
- Build lasting friendships with young people from around the world
- Become a global citizen
How long do exchanges last?
Long-term exchanges last a full academic year, and students attend local schools and live with multiple host families.
Short-term exchanges last from several days to three months and are often structured as camps, tours, or homestays that take place when school is not in session.
What are the costs?
Room and board are provided, as well as any school fees. Each program varies, but students are usually responsible for:
- Round-trip airfare
- Travel insurance
- Travel documents (such as passports and visas)
- Spending money and any additional travel or tours
How can I apply?
Candidates are ages 15-19 and are leaders in their schools and communities. Contact your local Rotary club to see what exchange opportunities are available and what the application process involves.
Types of Exchanges:
Long Term: The exchange student travels abroad and attends school in the host country for a full year. The will have opportunities to participate in camps, meetings, and trips. They will be immersed in the language & culture of their host country. The student ambassador will be hosted by a local Rotary Club who will supervise the one to three host families they will live with.
Short Term: The exchange student will spend part of summer in another country being hosted by a family with son or daughter of the same age as the student. When the student returns he or she will bring with them the host families son or daughter. Then they will host that student for a like period.
Rotary Clubs that are interested in sponsoring or hosting exchange students should email the YEO listed above.
Students that are interested in participating should download the “Pre Application form” attached and send it to the YEO listed above.
Procedure for Applying for both programs:
- Send in “Pre Application form“:
- For Long-Term the pre-application must be submitted by December the year before you want to go on your exchange.
- For Short-Term the pre-application must be submitted in the January of the year in which you want to go on your exchange.”
Process to be accepted to participate:
- Pre-Application form received and sponsoring Rotary Club identified.
Addition requested information completed and sent to YEO.
Exchange Student interviewed by District Youth Exchange Committee
Process after being accepted:
- Application sent to countries the exchange wishes to travel to.
Host Rotary Club in host country identified.
Exchange Student attends mandatory orientations.
Travel and Visa arrangements are completed for exchange student
Exchange student travels to host country.